Topics

save H2 heating command

Alex Jones

Hello all

When using the "save H2 heating" command, Cloudy returns an empty file, with only the column headings shown. Is there a way to display this information?

Also, is there documentation available that describes what the various column headings in the "save H2 cooling" and "save H2 rates" files refer to?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex

Gary Ferland

Hi there,

These print statements were included as part of the code's development.  They are intentionally not documented since they changed to suit circumstances - accurate documentation would increase the workload dramatically.  But, the code is open source.

Here is how to figure out what is going on.  Commands are parsed by routines with names like "parse_???.cpp" so in this case, you start looking at "parse_save.cpp, where the save command is parsed.

Next look for the keyword " H2 " so see where it is parsed - that is parse_save.cpp:385.  The method is H2_ParseSave - it will then be a simple matter of tracing the variables across the code.  There should be comments where the variables are used.

hope that helps
Gary

--
Gary J. Ferland
Physics, Univ of Kentucky

Alex Jones

Hi Gary

Thanks for your reply.

I can now see the comments for the columns from the save H2 commands in "mole_h2_io.cpp". Just a quick follow-up question - I was wondering what the difference might be between the "frm_grn" column using the "save H2 rates" command, and the "grn,H,H=>grn,H2" column using the "save chemistry rates species "H2"" command? They seem to follow the same trend with depth, however the "grn,H,H=>grn,H2" values are a few orders of magnitude higher than the "frm_grn" values. Perhaps there is a scaling factor somewhere I am missing, or different units are used?

Thanks a lot

Alex