Topics

Conversion of emission flux to Jansky

Amrutha B M

Hi,
I work with cloudy 17.01 for photo ionisation modelling of PNe. I have used the intensity command for the model and want to know how can the emergent fluxes for the IRAS bands be converted to Jansky (Jy). This would make it easier to compare the output with the IRAS fluxes.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Amrutha B. M.

Marios Chatzikos

Hello Amrutha,

The output units are erg/s/cm^2 for the intensity case.  To convert to Jy first you need to convert this to a flux density; I'd divide with the width of the IRAS filter in Hz, and then use the standard conversion to Jy (= 10^-23 erg/s/cm^2/Hz).

I hope this helps,

Marios

On 7/13/20 01:46, Amrutha B M via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I work with cloudy 17.01 for photo ionisation modelling of PNe. I have used the intensity command for the model and want to know how can the emergent fluxes for the IRAS bands be converted to Jansky (Jy). This would make it easier to compare the output with the IRAS fluxes.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Amrutha B. M.

Amrutha B M

Hi Marios,
Thank you very much for your response. It gives me clarity. Could you as well provide the conversion with the luminosity case emergent fluxes which are in (ergs/s)? How do I convert the luminosity case emergent flux to Jansky (Jy)?
Thank you once again.
Kind regards,
Amrutha

Marios Chatzikos

Hi Amrutha,

For that, you first need to divide the luminosity by the area of the emitting sphere to convert it to a flux.  And then, proceed as before.  In other words, I'd divide the emergent luminosity by the surface of the cloud at the outer radius, 4π*rout^2, modulo the covering factor, if you've defined one.

I think that should give you what you need.

Marios

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 1:28 PM Amrutha B M via groups.io <bmamrutha93=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Marios,
Thank you very much for your response. It gives me clarity. Could you as well provide the conversion with the luminosity case emergent fluxes which are in (ergs/s)? How do I convert the luminosity case emergent flux to Jansky (Jy)?
Thank you once again.
Kind regards,
Amrutha

Amrutha B M

Dear Marios,

My hearty thanks to you for the clarification with both Intensity and Luminosity cases. It is surely of great help.

Kind regards,
Amrutha