Topics

Cloudy crashing on input

Brandt Gaches

Dear all,

I've been having an issue where Cloudy is crashing on the inputs. I am fairly new to using Cloudy, so I cannot directly spot the problem - it says the cloud density is not defined, but it clearly is. I have tried commenting out most of the commands to see if it makes a difference but it keeps crashing. I am using cloudy 17.02. The problem setup is a point source with an xray spectrum between 1 - 10 keV (it's not really a physical setup, but it is to benchmark against another code). Below is the input script followed by the output. Maybe I am missing something totally obvious, at which I apologise in advance!

input:
title XDR source

##radiation sources
##ISM Draine + CMB + Xray power law
table ISM -6
CMB

power law, slope=-2, cutoffs at 735 Ryd and 73.5 Ryd
##power law, slope=-2, lo=73.5, hi=735.0 (tried this)
##power law -2 73.5 735.0 (tried this)
luminosity 3.83e33 linear
radius 16

hden 4.0
abundances ism
grains PAH 3
sphere

stop H2 column density 26.0
stop temperature linear 3
iterate

Database H-like Lyman pumping off
cosmic ray rate -16.3

##output
save overview last  "xdr.ovr"
save species last "xdr.spec"
save abundances last "xdr.abund"
save continuum last "xdr.cont" units keV
save dr last "xdr.dr"
save PDR last "xdr.pdr"

Output:

Cloudy 17.02

www.nublado.org

**************************************17Jun01**************************************

*                                                                                 *

* title XDR source                                                                *

*                                                                                 *

***********************************************************************************

PROBLEM DISASTER Hydrogen density MUST be specified.

PROBLEM DISASTER No incident radiation field was specified - at least put in the CMB.

PROBLEM DISASTER I do not have enough information to do the simulation, I cannot go on.

Sorry.

[Stop in ParseCommands at parse_commands.cpp:850, something went wrong]

The code was able to run all the test suite just fine, so I think it something I am doing incorrectly in the input?

Thanks,

Marios Chatzikos

Hi Brandt,

Cloudy interprets a blank line as the end of the input deck -- that's why only the title is reported as input in the .out file.  Remove the blank lines, and your code should proceed without the current errors.

Marios

On 6/23/20 13:10, Brandt Gaches wrote:
Dear all,

I've been having an issue where Cloudy is crashing on the inputs. I am fairly new to using Cloudy, so I cannot directly spot the problem - it says the cloud density is not defined, but it clearly is. I have tried commenting out most of the commands to see if it makes a difference but it keeps crashing. I am using cloudy 17.02. The problem setup is a point source with an xray spectrum between 1 - 10 keV (it's not really a physical setup, but it is to benchmark against another code). Below is the input script followed by the output. Maybe I am missing something totally obvious, at which I apologise in advance!

input:
title XDR source

##radiation sources
##ISM Draine + CMB + Xray power law
table ISM -6
CMB

power law, slope=-2, cutoffs at 735 Ryd and 73.5 Ryd
##power law, slope=-2, lo=73.5, hi=735.0 (tried this)
##power law -2 73.5 735.0 (tried this)
luminosity 3.83e33 linear
radius 16

hden 4.0
abundances ism
grains PAH 3
sphere

stop H2 column density 26.0
stop temperature linear 3
iterate

Database H-like Lyman pumping off
cosmic ray rate -16.3

##output
save overview last  "xdr.ovr"
save species last "xdr.spec"
save abundances last "xdr.abund"
save continuum last "xdr.cont" units keV
save dr last "xdr.dr"
save PDR last "xdr.pdr"

Output:

Cloudy 17.02

www.nublado.org

**************************************17Jun01**************************************

* title XDR source                                                                *

***********************************************************************************

PROBLEM DISASTER Hydrogen density MUST be specified.

PROBLEM DISASTER No incident radiation field was specified - at least put in the CMB.

PROBLEM DISASTER I do not have enough information to do the simulation, I cannot go on.

Sorry.

[Stop in ParseCommands at parse_commands.cpp:850, something went wrong]

The code was able to run all the test suite just fine, so I think it something I am doing incorrectly in the input?

Thanks,

Brandt Gaches

Dear Marios,

Thank you. With a slight modification (save species -> save molecules), the input is now running. 

Best,
Brandt